Monday, January 21, 2008

Ending week 2

Hello!
Last week was a very good learning experience. I saw so many severe pre-eclamptic patients which is so sad because they have to induce labor to help the mom, and the babies often don’t make it b/c they are pre term. We also saw a patient with TTP, forceps deliveries, an ECV (external cephalic version ie rotating the baby from breech to cephalic) that worked, and a patient with anemia. Also, there is a belief by the women here that they shouldn't give blood (and don't like to). This causes there to be quite a shortage of blood which can then cause some tension within the hospital (especially when a pregnant women needs blood and none of her relatives will donate).
I was sad to leave L&D because the nurses, staff, and patients were very nice. I am blessed to be able to learn here even if it can be very sad at times.

For the weekend we all went to Mamallapuram to enjoy the beach in the Bay of Bengal. We had to be very careful and keep covered if we were not in the ocean b/c the Indian men just walk up and down the beach staring at the foreign women. It was a blessing to get away and relax after a busy week. I also feel God restoring my joy.

This week I am at the CHAD hospital which is the community hospital for the CMC. I enjoy that I can walk to the clinic that I am working at because it is just down the road.
I also like the clinic b/c it is open air and you feel as though you are outside which is great now b/c the weather is very pleasant (70's and 80's)! They do everything here, and also take weekly trips to the local villages which I will do Tues. and Wed. There is a missionary doctor from the states that works there so I hope to talk to him this week.

On Thurs. I am going to the Leprosy clinic that Paul Brand (the scholarship that I received) helped to start up.
I just started reading his book “The Gift of Pain” which I highly recommend!

I found out a lot of disturbing statistics today at the clinic meeting.
The suicide and murder rate (with in the family) is very high here. Last month there were 58 suicides that were reported to the CHAD clinic- the causes are poisoning, hanging, and burning. This is very sad and difficult for the clinic to know how to change and approach.

Some other things I saw in clinic today:
A young girl with neurocysticercosis, tropical pulmonary eosinophilia, depression, hypertension, menorrhagia, and lots of pregnany women. Children with rheumatic heart dz, fevers, colds, and hypothyroid.

Some verses for the week to experience God's grace: Rom 12:1, ps 51:10, ro 3:24, 1john4:9-10, john 3:16-18, col 2:13-14, john 15:15

Have a great week! I enjoy hearing from you all! Thank you for your prayers and support!

Random thoughts:
The most dangerous thing to do here is cross the street.
I eat rice with every meal and am becoming fond of the flavored rice: esp. coconut rice. We had some yummy crepes too! There are also bougainvillea plants all over, which reminds me of Harlingen.

No comments: